Custom Tenugui for KENDO, AIKIDO, IAIDO Dojo (martial art clubs), and Taikai (tournaments) and Anniversary
Welcome to Nipponcraft custom tenugui website!
Customized tenugui for Kendo - We will make custom tenugui for your Dojo! Our skillful artisan will make custom printed tenugui with our traditional method.
We will custom-print your dojo logo design on tenugui. If the design complexity is within our hand-making craftsmanship, we will make up your tenugui with the unique Japanese traditional print (dye) method "Chu-sen" ( 注染 ) (see more).
A "Chu-en" tenugui removes sweat very well even if it is dyed with dark background color, and it is good for sports-use - our printing quality is better than pigment-printing. In addition, a "Chu-sen" tenugui is traditional feel, beautiful, and tough.
Please arrange your logo, name, and other writings (such as a tournament's name and calligraphy) proportionally to tenugui dimensions, then we will print your design accordingly on 100% cotton tenugui fabric. The tenugui dimensions are either standard size: (33- 34 cm) X 90 cm, or wide size: (35 - 36) cm X 100 cm. Please choose your tenugui size to fit well to you.
Please allow us approx. 3 weeks for the production.
For estimation, just "firstname.lastname@example.org" with your design image (JPEG/PDF). We look forward to your contact. Thank you very much!
Here are some notes:
The followings are more information and details.
We would like to recommend "Chu-sen" (as described in (1)) for dojo tenugui, because Chu-sen tenugui have more traditional touch and are more tough. However, we can't make very complex designs with Chu-sen because the design is hand-carved by an artisan on a stencil for printing. When the design has many detailed lines, we have the orthodox silkscreen option ("Nassen" as described in (2))
(1) "Chu-sen" (注染) method - This is the traditional hand-making method invented many years ago in Osaka. Chu-sen tenugui are double-sided like samples. All process are done by artisans' hands. Your design will be hand-carved on a stencil and then will be hand-printed on fabrics. Since hand-making, all lines in the design must be at least 2 mm broad and each color must be apart each other by 1 cm.
Chu-sen is a dye-penetration method (dyes penetrated to the backside of tenugui fabric). "Chu" means "to pour", and "Sen" means "to dye". "Chu-sen" method was invented to produce multi-color tenugui more economically without setting up many silkscreens.
With Chu-sen, graduated color presentations are also possible.
The "Chu-sen" facility Miya-zome is located in Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture (栃木県宇都宮市).
(2) Silkscreen method ("Nassen") - This is the ordinary single-sided printing method (please see samples). A silkscreen will be created by machine, and your design will be hand-printed on a tenugui using the silkscreen. We will use this method for a very complex design with many detailed lines.
The advantage of "Nassen" is the exact copy of the complex design to a tenugui fabric. To reduce the cost of "Nassen" tenugui, we recommend you to incorporate only one or two colors. With this method, graduated color presentations are not possible.
The "Nassen" facility (Bamba) is located in Kyoto.
In either method, final color on a fabric may not exactly match with a color swatch on a paper. Although artisans will strive to be accurate, the final results will depend on the workmanship.
Please allow 15 - 20 working days for the custom tenugui production, plus 5 - 12 working days for EMS delivery. As a note, June-July and November-December are the busiest seasons of the tenugui factories, therefore it may require some more lead time during these seasons.
Please acknowledge that the lines may not be so straight as printed by PC printers and that there might appear some blots during dyeing. You may see some inaccuracy on the final product. The design and color on the final tenugui might not exactly match with your original design created on your PC. Especially, the colors created on PC highly depend on a screen resolution, printer & ink type and paper quality. Also, even if you send us Pantone or DIC color swatches, the colors on tenugui might not exactly match with those colors. Dyed colors on a cotton fabric is often different from the printed colors on a piece of paper. However, our artisans will stive to be exact and to match with your design and colors.
Sorry to say, test printing for your color validation before the full-run is NOT available for "Chu-sen" method. Moreover, we produce all of your order at one time, so 10-20 pieces manufacturing before the full-run is not available either.
PayPal, VISA/MasterCard/JCB/AEMEX. Payment currency is Japanese Yen (JPY). PayPal will convert JPY into your local currency based on the exchange and will subtract from your deposit. For residents in Japan, the bank transfer is optional.
Shipping Cost and VAT
We usually ship packages though Express Mailing Service (EMS) forwarding to the postal service of your country. The shipping cost depends on the package weight and destination. For instance, when we ship 100 pcs tenugui to EU/UK, the cost would be 14.000 JPY. The estimated arrival times will be 8 - 12 working days. However, if you are asked by your country's customs to fill in a form for importing the tenugui, this application process time will be added.
If you prefer expedited option, we can ship through DHL with special price (lower than the standard price).
As an extra cost, you may need to pay for the import and VAT (local tax) of your country. We can never anticipate these tax amounts from Japan, as they will be levied by your government.
Cancel and Return
Sorry to say, we cannot accept your cancel or return after the production run has started.
- Your logo positioning on a tenugui need to be presented from a customer.
- Minimum order: QTY 90 - 100 (for one design; you cannot divide 100 into several designs). (*QTY 100 is the minimum one lot for the production run at the factory.)
- Payment requested before the production run.
- Payment not refundable after the production run starts.
- No design change, No cancellation after the production run has started.
- Please be aware of the import tax and VAT of your country.
- Fill in the order form and agree with our custom order proposal. Please your tenugui design image in JPEG or in PDF for the estimate.
- The tenugui artisan will see if your design image is printable onto tenugui.
- When printable, we will send you an estimate (in two or three working days) .
- After your confirmation and approval of the price and the lead time, we will send you a PayPal invoice.
- Please make your prepayment through the invoice. Please send us your design in higher resolution JPEG or in Adobe Illustrator data for the production.
- Soon after we confirm your fund transfer and final data, we will start the production run.
- As soon as the production run is completed, we will ship out your order and inform you of the tracking information.
(Article Last Update: January 29, 2020)
" * " : Required field